January is National Oatmeal Month
Last updated on June 30th, 2022 at 01:16 pm
It’s the first month of the year. The month you decide to make a resolution (and swear you’ll stick to it too!). So, while there are many National Food holiday’s for the month, we’ve decided to select a healthy one that’ll be a hit with your customers as they begin their resolution to lose weight.
January is National Oatmeal Month. Remind your customers that starting their morning with a healthful bowl of oatmeal will help lower their cholesterol as well as reduce the risk of heart disease. With knowledge like this, how can they resist a bowl of the good stuff? At home the average consumer will probably heat up the instant variety of oatmeal, but when they come to your restaurant they expect something more wholesome and chichi!
Here’s a recipe for preparing simple, Steel Cut Oatmeal. Serve the oatmeal with a “buffet-like” variety of healthful toppings so your customers can add-in their favorite ingredients.
Simple Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe (Serves 16)
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 4 cup steel cut oats
- 12 cups boiling water
- 1 cup milk, preferably whole
- 2 cups plus 4 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- 14 Qt Aluminum Sauce Pan
- 8-ounce Ladle (perfect for portion control!)
- Southbend Gas Griddle Range (one of our favorite stove/oven combinations)
- Deep Rim Bowl (we love the Cancun line because you can pick your color)
- 2 1/2 oz Ramekin Bowls
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter and add oats. Stir for 2 minutes to toast.
- Add boiling water and reduce heat to a simmer. Keep at a low simmer for 25 minutes. DO NOT STIR.
- Combine milk and half of the buttermilk with the oatmeal. Stir gently to combine and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Ladle oatmeal into a serving bowl and top with remaining buttermilk, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Now that you have the recipe add mix-in options, served in separate ramekin bowls. Below is a list of different healthful options you can offer your customers to mix with their oatmeal, but we encourage you to be creative and come up with your own. (Don’t forget to share them in the comments section below!)
- Fresh fruit- strawberries, blueberries, sliced bananas, peaches, blackberries, mangoes
- Chopped nuts- walnuts, pecans, macadamia, almonds
- Dried fruit like raisins, cranberries, dried cherries, dried mangoes
- Spices- brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves,
- Chocolate chips, peanut butter, granola, almond butter, 100% pure maple syrup, shredded coconut, honey, and jellies.