It’s probably safe to say that your restaurant offers some sort of sandwich. Sandwiches are one of the most popular lunch items in the U.S. and around the world since they are an easy and quick way to grab a bite to eat. The variety of sandwiches are endless. Let’s see, there’s Cuban Sandwiches, French Dip, PB&J, Panini, Grilled Cheese, Bologna, Falafel… wow we could probably go on for a while. If you think about it, any dinner can be transformed to a lunch sandwich- put leftover spaghetti between two pieces of garlic bread and now you’ve got a spaghetti sandwich. The same theory applies to meatloaf and carved turkey leftovers. Today, in honor of National Sandwich Day impress your regulars with a new and unique sandwich like this tasty Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich!
Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich (serves 6)
- 1/4 C Kosher Salt, plus 1 t
- 1 Large, Firm Eggplant
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 t Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 4 C Italian-Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 to 1 Cup Olive Oil
- 6 Italian-Style Hoagie Rolls, split
- 1 C Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 2 C Marinara Sauce, warm
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Fill a large bowl of warm water and stir in salt until it dissolves. Slice the eggplants crosswise using a knife about 1/4 inch thick (keep slices consistent) Completely submerge in salt water and let stand for 1 hour. Remove eggplant from water and shake off excess moisture.
- In a shallow dish, whisk eggs, salt and pepper. Spread the breadcrumbs in another shallow dish. Dip the eggplant in the egg wash and then the breadcrumbs, covering all surfaces.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Lightly coat a 14″ Stainless Steel Frying Pan with olive oil and allow it to heat up over medium-high heat. Add eggplants to pan, cover and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes). If eggplants become too dark, reduce the heat. Using a large spatula flip the eggplant and cook until completely tender (1-2 minutes more). Transfer eggplant to paper towel. Repeat with all eggplant slices.
- Warm hoagie buns in oven for 5 minutes. Divide eggplants evenly on the rolls, top with marinara and cheese.