Today is National Shrimp Day! You can add shrimp to just about any dish for a great meat substitute! Beef Stir-Fry, becomes shrimp stir fry; Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken becomes Fettuccine Alfredo with Shrimp- without any hassle! Also known as the “Fruit of the Sea” the number of ways to prepare shrimp are endless. The most famous shrimp quote (probably the only movie quote mentioning shrimp) is of course from Forrest Gump:
Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey’s uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There’s pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that’s about it.
Here’s a fun shrimp recipe that we’re sure you’ll love!
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 c finely chopped White Onion
- 4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tspn Ground Cumin
- 1 tspn Dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Chipotle Chiles in Adobo Sauce
- 1/4 cup Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/2 lbs Extra-Large Shrimp
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed Orange Juice
- 2 Tbsp Adobo Sauce (from canned chiles)
- Heat olive oil in 12″ Frying Pan on medium-high. Add onions- saute until golden brown (10 minutes) Add garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and oregano- cook another minute. Put into Vitamix Food Blender with chiles, vinegar, and water. Puree.
- Pour half of mixture in a glass bowl and cool. Once cool, add shrimp to the mixture and marinate 1-2 hrs in a True Refrigerator.
- For Glaze: Pour remaining puree into a medium saucepan. Add brown sugar, OJ and adobe sauce. Over medium-high heat bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened (10 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat Southbend Charbroiler. Remove shrimp from marinade and pat dry. Thread shrimp onto skewers and brush with glaze. Grill until shrimp turn pink- about 2 minutes/ side frequently brushing with glaze. Remove from heat and serve immediately.