Last updated on June 30th, 2022 at 01:18 pm
Today is National Pickle Day. Pickles are an incredibly versatile vegetable- dill, sweet, bread and butter, gherkin, kosher dill, sour, brined, Polish, Hungarian, lime, even deep fried and Kool Aid Pickle often accompanying sandwiches. Have you ever been to Zingerman’s Deli in Ann Arbor, MI? They serve the freshest and tastiest pickles we’ve ever encountered. In honor of this tasty day, serve pickles with everything! Pickles and pasta, pickles and steak, pickles and …. lol well whatever! They are tasty delight! Although time constraints will not allow you to make authentic dill pickles and serve it today, here’s a quick recipe by Rachael Ray that uses ingredients from your refrigerator and can be prepared in less than 20 minutes. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup white vinegar, eyeball it
- 2 rounded teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove cracked garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves, chopped or snipped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 kirby cucumbers, cut into 1-inch slices on an angle
- Heat small sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, salt, and garlic to the pan and cook until it begins to simmer and sugar dissolves. Toss the dill, bay leaf, and sliced cucumbers together in a heat-proof bowl.
- Pour the simmering liquid over the cucumbers and stir to evenly coat.
- Allow to cool to room temperature or chill before serving.