It’s National Rum Day! There really is no rhyme or reason for why August 16 is National Rum Day. I could research it for hours and come up with some sort of logic, but on a day like this why bother! It’s RUM DAY! Let’s not waste time arguing about the days origin. Instead, I’m going to leave you with a brief history of rum and then a tasty recipe.
To sum it up, rum is a sugarcane-based alcoholic beverage, aged in oak barrels. It is consumed as a straight or iced shot, blended in a mixed drink (Pina Colada, Mai Tai, and Daiquiris), and even used in a variety of desserts (rum cake, Bananas Foster, and rum balls).
Your customers will love this simple and delicious recipe for Bananas Foster!
Bananas Foster (Serves 4)
- 4 Bananas
- 1/2c Butter
- 1/4c Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/4c Rum
- 4 Scoops French Vanilla Ice Cream
- 4 Chilled Plates
- To chill plates, place in a Beverage Air Glass and Plate Chiller.
- Slice the bananas horizontally in halves.
- Saute bananas in the butter in a skillet for 3 minutes. Add brown sugar and mix well. Stir in the rum and cook for 1 minute or until reduced, stirring often.
- Place 1 scoop of ice cream in each of the 4 dessert bowls. Top each scoop with 2 banana halves and drizzle with sauce and top with cinnamon. Serve immediately.
- Feel adventurous? put on a show for your customers by flambéing their dessert table side!