Last updated on June 30th, 2022 at 01:44 pm
Who doesn’t love an ooey gooey peanut butter and jelly sandwich? It’s a satisfying treat that’s delicious and easy to make. One of our favorite cupcake shops in Toledo and Food Network’s Cupcake Wars winner, Cake in a Cup, took the PB&J to the next level by transforming it into a cupcake! That’s right they took the gooeyness of the simple sandwich, baked it and created the most delectable gourmet treat you’ll ever eat!
Here’s a recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes that I’ve modified to create PB&J Cupcakes.
Ooey-Gooey PB&J Cupcake Recipe
Makes: 16 cupcakes
Cake Batter Ingredients:
- 1 C Granulated Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 1 3/4 C Cake Flour (do not use self-rising flour)
- 1 1/2 t Baking Powder
- 1/2 t Baking Soda
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/4 C Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 C Full-Fat Sour Cream
- 1/4 C Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 1 T Pure Vanilla Extract, do not use imitation
- 2/3 C Whole Milk
- 1 C Grape or Strawberry Jelly
- 1 (8-ounce) Package Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 4 T Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 t Vanilla Extract
- 1 C Creamy Peanut Butter, we like Jif Natural
- 1 1/2 C Confectioners’ Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- In a small bowl, combine Sugar and the Seeds from the Vanilla Bean. Make sure to break up clumps of seeds to get better flavor. Set aside.
- Using a countertop mixer, mix cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the sugar mixture and mix until well combined. Add butter and mix on medium-low speed for three minutes. (Since there is little butter, the batter will be a very fine crumb texture.)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined. Slowly add milk and mix on low speed until just combined. (The batter will be liquid.)
- Fill cupcake liners just over 1/2 full. Bake for 14 minutes and then test with a toothpick (the toothpick should come out without wet batter stuck to it). Do not allow them to turn golden brown! If they are not done, retest every two minutes. When done, remove immediately from the Muffin Pan and let them cool on a cooling rack.
- While cupcakes are baking, make the frosting. In a large bowl, add the cream cheese and butter. Beat until well combined, then add the vanilla and peanut butter and beat until well mixed. Slowly add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until well incorporated.
- When cupcakes are cool, use a melon scooper to scoop out the inside of the cupcake from the top. Using a pastry bag with an icing tip, stuff with 1 T of Jelly, and allow some of the jelly to overflow (should look like a dome). Swirl a generous portion of Peanut Butter Frosting around the jelly.
We’re sure that your guests will love a PB&J Cupcake just as much as we do. Guten appetit!